Club Updates – Aug. 17
Note to subscribers: With the CDC’s relaxing of COVID-19 guidelines and the virus’s evolution from pandemic to endemic stage, NCA’s COVID coverage is moving to our bi-weekly Club Insider Brief(CIB). COVID-19 Club Update subscribers will receive CIB starting next week. We hope you enjoy its expanded industry content and continue benefiting from NCA’s COVID-19 coverage there.
After an increase in COVID-19 infections earlier this summer, daily cases have fallen more than18% in the past two weeks, reports The New York Times. A decrease in cases has been seen in almost every state, and by 20% or more in a dozen states. In response, the CDC has eased COVID-19 guidelines stating the country is “in a different place” due to high immunity rates. Despite the drop, coronavirus deaths have increased by 8% in the last two weeks.
- C.D.C. Eases COVID Guidelines, Noting Virus Is ‘Here to Stay’, NYT
- With New Guidance, CDC Ends Test-to-stay for Schools and Relaxes COVID Rules, NPR
- ‘COVID? What COVID?’ More and More People Say They’ve Returned to Normal, Philadelphia Inquirer
- The Hunt for a Universal COVID-19 Vaccine, BBC
- Moderna CEO Compares COVID-19 Vaccines to iPhones, Saying You’ll Probably be Getting a New Version Each Year, Business Insider
- Novavax Seeks US Authorization for COVID Vaccine Booster, Reuters
- J&J COVID Vaccine Factory Forced to Trash Even More Doses, WTOP
- Only Half of Eligible Americans Have Gotten Their First COVID Booster, ABC News
COVID-19 Data From the Onset: These charts from The New York Times show the increases and decreases in COVID-19 infections, hospitalizations and deaths since they were first recorded more than two years ago. Due to high immunity rates and a decrease in cases, the CDC recently laxed its COVID-19 guidelines. See full article here.
- Striking Drop in Stress Hormone Predicts Long COVID in Study, Bloomberg
- COVID-19 Variants Keep Getting More Contagious. Here’s Why, WSJ
- How to Assess COVID-19 Risks After Easing of CDC Guidelines, WSJ
- FDA: Take Three Home Tests if Exposed to COVID to Boost Accuracy, AP News
- How Omicron BA.5 Became a Master of Disguise—What It Means for the Current COVID Surge, SciTech Daily
- Should I Get a Fourth Shot Now, or Wait for an Omicron-Specific Booster?, NYT
- The Long and Short of Worker Shortages, NCA (member-only content)
- The Odds of Getting COVID From Your Housemate Are ‘About a Coin Flip’, The Atlantic
Join NCA – Access the Industry’s Top Resources for Private Club Leaders:
Join NCA and benefit from the subject-matter experts who have helped create the industry’s best and most comprehensive library of club-specific resources. Members can add up to 15 board or staff members to their membership account, granting them access to NCA’s online library of 1,500+ resources, publications and monthly webcasts. View all the benefits you get with an NCA membership.