Club Updates – April 20
While COVID-19 cases are up in 32 states and up 42% nationwide from two weeks ago, per the CDC, COVID-19 related hospitalizations have dropped by 18% during that span. The spike is due to the BA.2 subvariant that has now become the dominant coronavirus strain; experts say vaccines are holding up against it.
- What Happened to Paxlovid? The COVID Antiviral Arrived Too Late for the Omicron Wave, NY Mag
- The Final Pandemic Betrayal, The Atlantic
- Second Swing CEO Sees Golf COVID-era Boom Fading, Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal
- Is COVID More Dangerous Than Driving? How Scientists Are Parsing COVID Risks, New York Times
The Travel Mask Mandate
- Do I Still Need to Wear a Mask on a Plane? 5 Questions, Answered, Washington Post
- Biden Administration Will Appeal Ruling That Lifted COVID Mask Mandate on Travel, CNBC
- Here Are the Airlines Dropping Mask Mandates, NBC News
- Lawmakers Push for Exemptions to Children’s Vaccine Requirements Amid COVID Backlash, USA Today
- Moderna Says Redesigned COVID Vaccine Produced Stronger Immunity Against Omicron Than Current Shots, CNBC
- For mRNA, COVID Vaccines Are Just the Beginning, Wired
- The Next Leap in Coronavirus Vaccine Development Could be a Nasal Spray, Washington Post
Morning Consultant Poll Shows 59% of Voters Support Mask Mandate Extension to May 3: After a federal judge in Florida struck down the Biden Administration’s mask mandate extension through May 3, several airlines and ride-sharing apps lifted mask mandates. The Morning Consultant poll shows 84% of Democrats and 35% of Republicans support the extension. See full article here.
- Vaccines, Antibodies, Antivirals: How Some Immunocompromised Can Cut COVID Risk, NBC News
- Businesses Need Staffing Strategies to Deal with Ongoing COVID-19 Surges, Marketplace
- Restaurants Push Senate for More COVID-19 Relief Funding, Triad Business Journal
- US Business Openings on Yelp Surge Well Above Pre-COVID Levels, Bloomberg
- Pandemic-related Restaurant Aid Bill Would Bar Employers with Wage Violations, SHRM
- What Triggers Severe COVID? Infected Immune Cells Hold Clues, Nature
- Doctor Suspended for COVID-19 Exemptions Testifies About Letters, Faces Sanctions, Press Herald
- Gov. Kathy Hochul Says She Won’t Shut Down NY as COVID Cases Spike, NY Post
- New, Highly Transmissible Forms of Omicron May Pose Latest COVID Threat, Washington Post
- This Invisible COVID-19 Mitigation Measure is Finally Getting the Attention it Deserves, CNN
- Rise in At-home Testing Means We Could be Undercounting COVID-19 Cases Even More Than Before, CNN
- A New COVID Breath Test Holds Promise, But Wide Use May Still Be Far Off, NYT
Join NCA – Access the Industry’s Top Resources for Private Club Leaders:
Join NCA and benefit from the subject-matter experts who have helped create the industry’s best and most comprehensive library of club-specific resources. Members can add up to 15 board or staff members to their membership account, granting them access to NCA’s online library of 1,500+ resources, publications and monthly webcasts. View all the benefits you get with an NCA membership.
Click here or contact Katina Cavagnaro at [email protected] and 202-822-1291 to learn more about a membership at the National Club Association.