Have Workers Moved on For Good From Hospitality?
Economists say the labor market shift away from hospitality could be a lasting one, as many workers took stock of the pandemic’s toll on the industry during the pandemic and decided to move onto another industry. The share of U.S. restaurant and hotel workers leaving their jobs hit a two-decade high in May at 5.7%, according to the Labor Department. Though the industry added jobs in June, employment in the industry remains down by 1.3 million jobs since the pandemic began. Among those working in travel and recreation, which include jobs such as catering managers, banquet servers and pastry chefs, 79% indicated they had moved to a new industry. WSJ.
Newton Yacht Club Hosts Paralyzed Veterans Annual Fishing Tournament
The New England Paralyzed Veterans of America Bass Trail’s 22nd annual fishing tournament was held at the Newton Yacht Club on June 5. Local volunteers included nurses, boat captains and members of the Nam Knights Motorcycle Club. Volunteers helped disabled anglers participate in the event by making the event accessible for those in wheelchairs and helping veterans get on and off the boats. Boston Globe.
- The Bath Club Reopens, Unveils Fresh Designs
- Before SoHo Goes Public, 5 Things You Should Know
- The Minneapolis Club Gets a Refresh
- Quin House, Inside Boston’s New Exclusive Social Club
- Growth to Continue at L.A.’s Social Clubs Post-Pandemic
- S. Fla. Private Clubs Boom During the Pandemic, Rounds up 37%
- The Numbers Behind SoHo’s Valuation
- $8M Delaire CC Renovation Expected to Being Next April
- The Wonderer, Downtown Charleston Club Opened July 4 Weekend
- Trump’s N.J. Golf Club Over-Served Alcohol, Fined $400K
New Study Shows Changes in Hotel Guest Behavior During Pandemic
As the hotel industry pivoted during the pandemic, hotel guests did too, reports a new Honeywell study. Occupancy patterns changed as more guests were staying in their rooms for longer periods of time. The study showed that in major cities in the US, less than 15% of rented guest rooms were left unoccupied during the daytime over the past year. Hospitality Tech.
- Hospitality’s New Hot Tech, Showcased at Consumer Electronics Show
- SONIFI Technology Elevates Guest Experience with Interactive TV Platform
On the Green
Golf’s New Look: Welcoming and Inclusivity
The aging demographic of devoted recreational golfers in the US has forced the industry to evaluate how to appeal to new players. Mike Miles, a 59-year-old PGA Tour player said, “We have to make golf not so serious,” as he watched a young man on the first tee in bare feet. Some within the industry have embraced relaxation across the sport as a way to appeal to younger players. C+RB.
- ‘Make Golf Your Thing’ Initiative Gets New Supporter, KemperSports
- Behind the Gil Hanse Restoration at Oakland Hills CC
- Baltusrol Lower Course Restoration, Another Gil Hanse Project
- Pandemic Boosts Golf Cart Sales, Pushes More Efficient and Greener Carts
- Norwood Hills CC Offers Free Golf Lessons to Youth
Diversity & Inclusion
Gates Foundation Focuses on Women’s Empowerment, $2.1B Pledge
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation announced plans to spend $2.1 billion over the next five years on programs focused on women’s empowerment, marking the largest amount for a single commitment the foundation has made in more than two decades of work. The funding will help women obtain training and financial services, increase access to contraceptives and help women elevate to leadership roles in health, law and economics. WSJ.
- Writing Inclusive Job Postings
- Stanley Campbell Becomes 2nd Black Golf Course Owner in Martin County, Fla., Next to Michael Jordan
- Allyship Helps Drive Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Forward
Operations and Membership
Attracting & Retaining Great Employees
Being employee-focused is equally as important being member-focused at the club, especially as clubs struggle to find and retain great employees. By recruiting with retention in mind, training for the vision and mission of the club and providing clear paths for advancement, clubs can attract great talent and keep them at the club. GGA Partners.