Marty Ryan has served as Wellesley Country Club’s general manager in Wellesley, Mass., for 29 years, culminating a club career that started at Monclair Golf Club in West Orange, N.J., as a teenager. For his contributions to the club industry, Ryan has received Lifetime Achievement recognition from the Excellence in Club Management Awards. Club + Resort Business.
Since 2011, Golf Digest has recognized the golf industry’s most charitable individuals. David Bachman, general manager and COO of Spring Brook Country Club and Rob Goulet, CEO of Entertainment Sports Partners, teamed up to take Bachman’s club initiative of supporting frontline workers during the pandemic and bring it nationwide. Today, more than 400 U.S. clubs help deliver food and resources to local hospital workers in times of crisis via ClubsHelp. Golf Digest.
The Yellowstone Club was issued a draft permit from the Montana Department of Environmental Quality to being using treated wastewater to make snow. The permit would allow the club to use more than 25 million gallons of wastewater for their snowmaking operations in an effort to bolster stream flows and reduce nutrient loading in the Gallatin River. Bozeman Daily Chronicle.
- Colleton River Club OKs $16.5M Amenity Improvement Plan
- Montecito Club Grassing Project to Finish this Summer
- 11 of the World’s Most Exclusive Golf Clubs
- Private Business-club Network, Chief, Opens in LA
As more people try to lead healthy lifestyles this year, several food and beverage trends are emerging. Immunity boosters, like citrus and herbs are becoming more popular, as well as legumes like lupini and mung beans. Also on the list is the Indian health system Ayurveda, which features licorice and cardamom. In-sight.
- States Report Highest Personal Income Growth in 20 Years
- Health Clubs Bounce Back, Active Members Increases
- 80% of Restaurants Report Staff Shortages and Other Staffing Insights
- Hotels Can Create ‘Third Space’ for Working
On the Green
For the third straight time, Golf Digest has named Pine Valley Golf Club in South Jersey America’s best golf course. It has received the biennial accolade all but four times since 1985. Panelists rank the courses based on seven categories: shot options, layout, challenges, distinctiveness, aesthetics, conditioning and character. Golf Digest.
- 2021 National Golf Day General Session (video)
- Avoiding a Golf Industry Bust After Pandemic Boom
- GCSAA Scholarship Revamped as Stand-Alone, Recognizes Nontraditional Student
- Calif. Bill Targets Municipal Courses for Low-income Housing
Diversity & Inclusion
Although he participated in the FirstTee program as a youth, African American golfer Kobe Jones left the game due to cost and feeling that he wasn’t desired at the course. The ClubLife Gateway Program, a joint venture by ClubCorp and First Tee that provides golf memberships to promising junior players unable to join clubs, gifted Jones to Stonebriar Country Club to allow him to pursue the game. Golf Digest.
- Hilton, Marriott Recognized for Leading Industry in Diversity Commitment
- Inside the Human-Centered Leader
- How Consumer React to Brands’ Racial Justice Response
- Female Representation in Travel and Tourism
Operations and Membership
As the country faces slower than expected job growth despite a reopening economy, some data has shown that workers are hesitant to recommit to their old job. A Pew survey found that 66% of unemployed workers “seriously considered” changing their field. Some former restaurant workers note higher pay, stability and safety from the coronavirus for their hesitancy in rejoining the industry. The Washington Post.